Country Sausage, Corn and Potato Chowder
1 lbcountry style sausage, browned and crumbled (i use bob evans in a "tube")
1 smallonion, chopped
2 pkg(2.75 ounces each) country sausage gravy mix (i use pioneer brand, but any sausage gravy mix will work)
4 chalf and half
3 1/2 - 4 cwhole milk
1 pkg(12 ounces) frozen corn, thawed (or 3 ears fresh corn, cooked and cut off the cob)
1 pkg(4.2 ounces) dehydrated shredded potatoes (rehydrated) (i use hungry jack in a small "milk carton" found in the instant mashed potato section of your grocery store)
1/4 cdiced roasted red peppers
1 tspdried parsley flakes
How to Make Country Sausage, Corn and Potato Chowder
- Place a 4-5 quart Dutch oven over medium high heat. Crumble the sausage into the Dutch oven and cook for 10-12 minutes, breaking meat up with a spoon as you go, until browned.
- Add the onion, mix well and cook another 3-4 minutes.
- Meanwhile, in a large bowl, combine the gravy mix and the half and half. Mix well with a wire whisk. Add to the meat mixture and mix well. Stir often until thickened and add 2 cups of the whole milk. Cook until heated thru.
- Add the corn, potatoes, roasted red pepper and dried parsley flakes. Mix well. Cook until thickened and add the remaining 1 1/2 to 2 cups of whole milk. Mix well.
- Bring to a simmer, stirring constantly to prevent sticking.
- Serve with a dollop of sour cream and some chowder crackers on the side.
- PLEASE NOTE: you may have to adjust amounts of shredded potatoes and liquid to make this chowder to your desired consistency ..... I, personally, love really thick chowders ....... but, adjustments can easily be made. Either way ..... it's delicious and satisfying.