Heidi's Brisket Broth and Beans Soup
·Brisket broth soup base (details below)
2 lbDry soup beans (mixed)
1 can(s)Stewed tomatoes
1 can(s)Tomato paste
1/2 cCelery, finely chopped
1/2 cOnion, finally chopped
4 TbspChili powder (more or less to taste)
1 1/2 lbPork sausage, ground
6 cLong grain brown rice, cooked
How to Make Heidi's Brisket Broth and Beans Soup
- BRISKET BROTH SOUP BASE: I use the meat & vegetable stock from previous night's Corned beef and cabbage dinner! Prepare it like this in your slow cooker: First add hot water (if needed) to the stock to make 3 - 4 quarts of broth. Then, cut up any leftover corned beef and veggies into small, soup-size pieces and toss all that back into the broth. That's your yummy, hearty soup base!
- Add to broth: Beans, stewed tomatoes, tomato paste, celery, onion, and chili powder. Simmer overnight in crockpot on LOWEST POSSIBLE setting (I use the "keep warm" setting for this).
- Next morning: Brown pork sausage, crumbling as it cooks, and add it to your soup.
- Just before you are ready to serve up your soup, cook the rice. (Hint: I like to substitute about 1/4 cup lime juice for that much of the water when making 6 cups or more of rice)
- I serve up this soup seperate from the rice. Some of my family like to pile rice in their bowl and ladel the soup over the top. Others like to mix the rice in.