1 ozolive oil
1 mediumonions, yellow or white
1 pkgmushrooms, fresh, any
2 - 3 mediumturnips, no greens
·salt and pepper, to taste
several pinchherbs of choice
1 or 2 dash(es)red wine
How to Make Sauteed Turnips with Herbs
- Heat olive oil in medium saute pan over medium to medium-low heat.
- Slice onions, turnips, and mushrooms thinly (1/4 inch or so) and add to pan. Cover and stir occasionally.
- When all the veggies are mostly cooked and tender, add salt, pepper, herbs, and a splash of red wine. Stir and return cover.
- In a separate dish, blend butter and flour. I have found this easier on a small plate with a fork. This is a French technique with a fancy name for thickening sauces.
- Turn heat to low and add butter-flour mixture, stirring gently until well blended.
- I like to serve over rice or chicken.
- Variations: add finely chopped bacon or pancetta, brown in pan before adding sliced veg.
Turnips can be omitted for a great sauce over meat.
Omit red wine and add spices like curry, cinnamon, and garam masala for Indian flair, or cumin, garlic, and adobo for a Latin touch.