- 1 oz
- olive oil
- 1 medium
- onions, yellow or white
- 1 pkg
- mushrooms, fresh, any
- 2 - 3 medium
- turnips, no greens
- salt and pepper, to taste
- several pinch
- herbs of choice
- 1 or 2 dash(es)
- red wine
- 1 Tbsp
- 1 Tbsp
How to Make Sauteed Turnips with Herbs
- 1Heat olive oil in medium saute pan over medium to medium-low heat.
- 2Slice onions, turnips, and mushrooms thinly (1/4 inch or so) and add to pan. Cover and stir occasionally.
- 3When all the veggies are mostly cooked and tender, add salt, pepper, herbs, and a splash of red wine. Stir and return cover.
- 4In a separate dish, blend butter and flour. I have found this easier on a small plate with a fork. This is a French technique with a fancy name for thickening sauces.
- 5Turn heat to low and add butter-flour mixture, stirring gently until well blended.
- 6I like to serve over rice or chicken.
- 7Variations: add finely chopped bacon or pancetta, brown in pan before adding sliced veg.
Turnips can be omitted for a great sauce over meat.
Omit red wine and add spices like curry, cinnamon, and garam masala for Indian flair, or cumin, garlic, and adobo for a Latin touch.