Escalloped Tomatoes with Croutons
- 3 Tbsp
- olive oil, extra virgin
- 2 c
- french bread, crust removed and cubed
- 2 1/2 lb
- plum tomatoes, cut into 1/2-inch dice
- 3 clove
- garlic, minced
- 2 Tbsp
- 2 tsp
- kosher salt
- 1 tsp
- freshly ground black pepper
- 1/2 c
- basil leaves, thinly sliced
- 1 c
- parmigiano-reggiano, grated fine
How to Make Escalloped Tomatoes with Croutons
- 1Preheat the oven to 350°F.
Heat olive oil in a large sauté pan over medium-high. Add the bread cubes and stir so that they are evenly coated with oil. Cook cubes, tossing frequently, until toasty on all sides, about 5 minutes.
- 2Meanwhile, combine tomatoes, garlic, sugar, salt and pepper in a large bowl. When the bread cubes are toasted, add the tomato mixture and cook them together, stirring frequently, for 5 minutes.
- 3Remove from heat, and stir in the basil. Pour into a shallow (6 to 8 cup) baking dish and top with Parmesan cheese. Bake 35 to 40 minutes until the top is browned and the tomatoes are bubbly.
- 4Serve hot or warm with a big green salad, a bean salad and/or a poached egg.