Corn Relish -- An Original
I use this as a condiment, serving a couple of tablespoons to a serving.
- 2 can(s)
- corn whole kernel yellow 15 oz. ea.
- green pepper diced fine
- 2 jar(s)
- diced pimento (small 2 oz. ea.)
- 1 medium
- onion diced fine
- stalks celery diced fine
- 2 c
- brown sugar (light)
- 1 tsp
- mustard (yellow or stone ground)
- 2 Tbsp
- cider vinegar or red wine vinegar
- 1 tsp
- 2 to 3 Tbsp
- corn starch
- 1/3 c
- cold water
TO THICKEN IF DESIRED
How to Make Corn Relish -- An Original
- 1Chop all the veggies except corn to size of corn. And place in Medium sized pot along with undrained corn.
- 2Add all the other items and stir well. Slow simmer for 30 minutes and stir occasionally.
- 3Should have a syrup consistency. If not drain off some of the liquid and mix 2 or 3 tablespoons of corn starch in 1/3 cup of cold water and stir well.
- 4While relish is at a slow to rolling simmer add the corn starch mixture and stir well. Corn Starch has to come to a slow or rolling simmer in order to thicken.
- 5Pack in pint jars fairly dry and discard excess liquid, or find a creative use for it. Will keep for up to 2 weeks in fridge.
- 6Note: 1/2 cup of Honey or Molasses could be added if you have a Southern bent. Or add a dash of Tabasco Sauce for a bit of a bite. You could make a bigger batch and can this for shelf storage or gifts.