Corn Relish -- An Original
I use this as a condiment, serving a couple of tablespoons to a serving.
★★★★★ 1 vote5
2 can(s)corn whole kernel yellow 15 oz. ea.
1green pepper diced fine
2 jar(s)diced pimento (small 2 oz. ea.)
1 mediumonion diced fine
2stalks celery diced fine
2 cbrown sugar (light)
1 tspmustard (yellow or stone ground)
2 Tbspcider vinegar or red wine vinegar
TO THICKEN IF DESIRED
2 to 3 Tbspcorn starch
1/3 ccold water
How to Make Corn Relish -- An Original
- Chop all the veggies except corn to size of corn. And place in Medium sized pot along with undrained corn.
- Add all the other items and stir well. Slow simmer for 30 minutes and stir occasionally.
- Should have a syrup consistency. If not drain off some of the liquid and mix 2 or 3 tablespoons of corn starch in 1/3 cup of cold water and stir well.
- While relish is at a slow to rolling simmer add the corn starch mixture and stir well. Corn Starch has to come to a slow or rolling simmer in order to thicken.
- Pack in pint jars fairly dry and discard excess liquid, or find a creative use for it. Will keep for up to 2 weeks in fridge.
- Note: 1/2 cup of Honey or Molasses could be added if you have a Southern bent. Or add a dash of Tabasco Sauce for a bit of a bite. You could make a bigger batch and can this for shelf storage or gifts.