CHRISTMAS RED PICKLES (to begin serving at Thanksgiving)
CHRISTMAS RED PICKLES
7 lblarge cucumbers
1 cpickling lime
2 tspred food coloring drops
1 tsppowdered alum
1 cdistilled white vinegar
7 cwhite sugar
2 cdistilled white vinegar
1 ccinnamon red hot candy
How to Make CHRISTMAS RED PICKLES (to begin serving at Thanksgiving)
- Peel cucumbers, half lengthwise and scrape out the seeds with a spoon. Cut the cucumbers into 1/4 inch half circles, and place in a glass or ceramic crock. Dissolve the pickling lime in 1 qt of room temperature water, pour over cucumbers, then add additional water until the cucumbers are covered by about 1/2 inch. Let stand at room temperature about 24 hours.
- Drain the Cucumbers and rinse well with cold water. Place in a large non aluminum stock pot, and cover with cold water. Allow to stand 3 hours then drain and rinse again.
- Return the cucumbers to the pot, add the food coloring. alum, 1 cup vinegar and enough water to cover by 1/2 inch. Bring to a boil over high heat, then reduce the heat to a simmer, and cook 2 hours. drain and allow to cool a bit before placing them into glass jars.
- Bring together sugar, 2 cups vinegar, 2 cups water, cinnamon red hot candies, and cinnamon sticks in a sauce pan over medium heat until the sugar and candies dissolve. Pour this mixture over the warm cucumbers, cover, and let stand over night.
- Pack pickles into pint glass jars, process in a hot water bath for 15 to 20 minutes. Refrigerate any jars that do not seal. These are a bit like candied apples....GOOD !! and PRETTY !!