☆☆☆☆☆ 0 votes0
4 mediumsweet onions (vidalia, walla walla, texas sweet), peeled and halved crosswise
5 ozfrozen chopped broccoli
1/4 cparmesan cheese, grated
2 Tbspmayonnaise, plus 2 teaspoons more
1 tsplemon juice
1 Tbspall-purpose flour
1 1/2 ozcream cheese, cubed
How to Make Broccoli-Stuffed Onions
- Place your onions in a large Dutch oven; add 1/4 teaspoon salt and water to cover. Bring to a boil; reduce heat, and simmer, uncovered, for 10 minutes. Drain well.
- Remove the centers from the onions, leaving 3/4 inch thick shells. Place the onion shells in a lightly greased baking dish; set aside.
- Chop the onion centers to equal 1/2 cup; reserve the remaining onion centers for another use. Set aside.
- Cook the broccoli according to the package directions; drain. Combine the broccoli, reserved 1/2 cup chopped onion, Parmesan cheese, mayonnaise, and lemon juice. Stir well. Spoon the mixture evenly into the reserved onion shells.
- Melt the butter in a small saucepan over low heat; add flour and 1/8 teaspoon salt, stirring until smooth. Cook for 1 minute, stirring constantly. Gradually add the milk; cook over medium heat, stirring constantly, until the mixture is thickened and bubbly.
- Remove from the heat; add the cream cheese, stirring until the cream cheese melts and sauce is smooth. Spoon the sauce over the stuffed onions.
- Bake, uncovered, at 375° for 20 to 25 minutes or until lightly browned and thoroughly heated.