Now you're going to think I'm crazy, but I could actually smell the wonderful aroma of this dish from the living room before it even went in the oven. HOW IS THAT POSSIBLE??? As it turned out, I'm so very thankful that (cough) he didn't listen to me. (I'm surprised this isn't already in JAP)
4 can(s)(14.5-oz) diced tomatoes
1green pepper, chopped fine
1onion, chopped fine
1/4 tspblack pepper
10 ozshredded sharp cheddar cheese
1sleeve saltine crackers, crumbled
1 stickmargarine or butter
1 can(s)evaporated milk
How to Make Tomato Casserole
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees and drain tomatoes.
- Butter a 13x9 inch baking dish with 1/2 stick of butter.
- Layer all the ingredients in baking dish starting with ½ of the first nine ingredients (all except evaporated milk).
- Layer the remaining ingredients and dot with the remaining butter.
- Pour a can of evaporated milk over all...SERIOUSLY!
- Bake uncovered at 350 for one hour.