Mary Ann Hanson
- 3/4 c
- 2 tsp
- baking powder
- 1 Tbsp
- 1/2 tsp
- seasoned salt
- 1 Tbsp
- 1/2 c
- powdered milk
- 2 1/2 c
- finely chopped onion
- cold water
- oil for frying
How to Make Onion Nuggets
- 1Prep all the ingredients and put about a 1/2 inch oil in a deep, heavy skillet. Begin to heat oil. I did mark panfry as the cooking method because I always flattened them out a little on the bottom of the skillet. Was not quite sure.
- 2Mix together first six ingredients.
- 3Stir in enough cold water to make a VERY thick batter.
- 4Add onions. Mix completely.
- 5Check to see if oil is hot by dropping a tiny bit of batter into it. If it sizzles and fries, it is hot. (Sorry. This is just what my grandma did. It is what my mom did. It is just what I do.)
- 6Drop dough by skant teaspoons into hot oil. Flatten slightly. Flip over after brown on one side. Brown on the other side.
- 7Remove from oil and drain on toweling. Put in a warm oven until all nuggets are done.
- 8Serve. To freeze, cool completely and freeze on a cookie sheet. When frozen, transfer to a freezer bag or container. I would reheat in a 375 oven until crisp and hot.
- 9Note: If you make these larger they will be more like onion fritters. Puffier and softer. It just depends on what you want or need for the meal.