It was definitely a hit - my husband thought it was just like stuffing from inside the turkey. It's become my favorite stuffing recipe. Plus there's an added benefit - it doesn't require oven space!
- 4 slice
- thick cut bacon, diced
- 2 stick
- celery, sliced or diced
- 1 c
- carrot, diced
- 1 medium
- onion, diced
- 1 pkg
- (14 oz) herb-seasoned stuffing cubes
- 1 pkg
- (7 oz) cornbread stuffing crumbs - or 1 recipe cornbread
- 2 tsp
- sage, dried
- 4 - 5 c
- broth/stock (match flavor to your meal - or use vegetable stock) divided
- non-stick cooking spray
How to Make CrockPot Stuffing
- 1In a large skillet, cook bacon to render fat and get slightly crispy. Add in celery, carrot and onion, cook until softened.
- 2Place stuffing mixes into a large bowl. Add bacon, onion, celery mixture along with sage. Toss together.
- 3Measure 1 1/2 cups broth into a measuring cup, add eggs and blend fairly well. Pour over stuffing mixture and toss ingredients with a rubber spatula/scraper/spoonula.
- 4Continue adding the rest of the broth/stock to the stuffing as you stir. Keep in mind you want it to be fairly moist/damp but not soupy. You may not use all of the stock or you may need more - it depends on how dry the stuffing mixes are.
- 5Using a 5 qt or larger slow cooker, spray liner with nonstick spray. Pour stuffing into liner and smooth the top. Cover and cook on HIGH for 1 hour then turn to low and cook an additional 2 - 4 hours (it will hold for much longer, though, if necessary).
- 6Other Notes: In a pinch? You can substitute the following for the stuffing mixes: 1 box Stove Top Savory Herb flavor, 1 box Stove Top Cornbread flavor and 1 box of another Stove Top flavor (chicken, pork, turkey).
This can be made vegetarian - you can add cranberries and diced apple (add apple when cooking onion/celery). Also, it can be made into oyster dressing by adding oysters when tossing mixture together. You can also substitute 1 pound sausage for the bacon, if desired.
It adapts well to any number of meals: chicken, turkey, pork chops or pork loin, game hens - it is an easy side for those times when you need your oven for other things.