Aloo Masala (Potato in Indian Spices)
1 Tbspcanola oil
1/2 tspcumin seeds
1/2 tspmustard seeds
1/2 tspturmeric, ground
1green chili, finely chopped
1/2 tspkosher salt or to taste
1 tsplemon juice, fresh
1 Tbspfresh cilantro, chopped
How to Make Aloo Masala (Potato in Indian Spices)
- Boil the potatoes until they are soft and let cool.
Peel and chop the potatoes in small pieces.
- Heat the oil in a frying pan on medium high. Test the heat by adding one cumin seed to the oil. If it cracks right away, the oil is ready.
- Add the cumin seeds, mustard seeds and asafetida. As the seeds crack, add turmeric, potatoes, green chili, and salt.
Stir-fry for a few minutes.
- Add lemon juice and cilantro.
The potatoes should be slightly moist and not dry.
- Try adding 2 tablespoons of shredded carrots and 1/8 cup of green peas to potato mixture.