Geoffry Le Cher
How to Make Mornay Sauce
- Bring milk, onion and bay leaf to a full boil.
- Let stand for 10 minutes. Strain.
- Over low heat, melt butter in sauce pan, add flour, cook until light brown.
- Gradually add milk and cream, stirring constantly, until mixture starts to boil.
- Stir in salt and pepper to taste.
- Cook over low heat, stirring often, about 10 minutes.
- If not completely smooth, strain.
- Sprinkle in cheese then stir until melted and smooth.
- Serve with pasta, eggs, vegetables or fish.