Geoffry Le Cher
How to Make Mornay Sauce
- 1Bring milk, onion and bay leaf to a full boil.
- 2Let stand for 10 minutes. Strain.
- 3Over low heat, melt butter in sauce pan, add flour, cook until light brown.
- 4Gradually add milk and cream, stirring constantly, until mixture starts to boil.
- 5Stir in salt and pepper to taste.
- 6Cook over low heat, stirring often, about 10 minutes.
- 7If not completely smooth, strain.
- 8Sprinkle in cheese then stir until melted and smooth.
- 9Serve with pasta, eggs, vegetables or fish.