- 1/2 lb
- dried or fresh tamarind pods
- green mangoes or 1 pound chopped,seeded dates
- inch long piece ginger root, peeled and sliced.
- 1 lb
- currants or raisins
- large green peppers, chopped
- 1 1/2 c
- 2 c
- brown sugar
- bird chile or 1/2 scotch bonnet chili seeded and minced
How to Make Mango Tamarind Chutney
- 1Place the tamarind pods in a saucepan with enough water to cover and bring to boil. Remove the pot from the heat and allow the pan to cool. Pull the pods apart and mash the seeds to remove most of the pulp. Strain, reserve the liquid, and discard the seeds. Use a grinder to grind the mango and ginger together, then combine the mango and ginger with the tamarind liquid. Add the remaining ingredients.
- 2Simmer over low heat until the mixture thickens, about 90 minutes. Stir frequesntly to avoid the mixture from sticking to pan. Remove the mixture and move to sterilized jars. Store in fridge.