Bennigan's Monte Cristo Sandwich
9 slicewhole wheat bread
3 slicehoney cured turkey breast (luncheon meat)
3 slicehoney cured ham (luncheon meat)
3 sliceamerican cheese (white or yellow - does not matter)
3 sliceswiss cheese
1 to 1&1/4 cwater
1 & 1/2 cflour (all-purpose is fine)
1 Tbspbaking powder
·vegetable oil (for deep frying)
·powdered sugar (for dusting on top)
·toothpicks (4 per sandwich)
How to Make Bennigan's Monte Cristo Sandwich
- Separate the 9 pieces of bread on a cutting board.
- Put 3 slices of bread aside.
- Using the remaining 6 slices: On 3 pieces place one slice Turkey and one slice Swiss cheese. On the other 3 slices of bread; place one slice Ham and one slice American cheese.
- Using the 3 slices of bread you set aside earlier; layer the sandwich. (Should be Turkey/Swiss, bread, then Ham/American layer) Will be a triple decker sandwich. Will make 3 sandwiches.
- Place a tooth pick in each corner of the sandwiches so the sandwiches will hold together. (4 per sandwich - Total of 12 toothpicks).
- Crack egg in a medium/large mixing bowl. Add water and beat together until fully mixed.
- Add salt,sugar, baking powder, and flour and stir until batter is smooth.
- Dip sandwich in batter. Carefully cover all sides and surfaces. (Make sure every surface of the sandwich is covered in batter or it wont fry right)
- Carefully place in hot oil.
- Fry until golden brown (usually 3-5 minutes per side).
- Once it is golden brown remove from hot oil and place on a paper towel to drain off excess oil.
- Let cool for a few minutes.
- Remove the toothpicks.
- Slice in half, or into fourths.
- Put on a plate and dust with powdered sugar.
- Serve with a side of Raspberry preserves for dipping!
- Enjoy!!! :)