·loaf of fresh cuban bread, about 8 inches per serving
·mayo and mustard mixed 1 part mustard to 8 parts mayo
·sliced dill pickle
·roast pork, pulled not sliced
·sliced swiss cheese
·optional - creamy cuban garlic sauce, see my recipe
·optional - shredded lettuce
How to Make Cuban Sandwich
- Note - the roast pork is traditionally marinated in mojo, but i have used other roast pork in a pinch. If you have a Publix, they have Cuban roast pork in the deli dept.
- Slice the bread open for sandwiches, cut into 8 inch portions.
- Spread both sides with the mayo/mustard mix.
- Add a generous layer of pork, ham then cheese. Top with pickles. Place the top piece of bread on top and press down.
- Heat a large skillet (cast iron is best) on medium heat. Have a smaller heavy skillet that will fit inside the other ready. If your second skillet isn't heavy, place cans inside it. (or use a panini press if you have it)
- Spray the heated skillet with oil and put your first sandwiches in it. Place the 2nd skillet on top of the sandwiches and press down.
- Let cook until toasty on the bottom. Flip and do the other side. Make sure the cheese melts. Continue until all sandwiches are cooked.
- Traditionally you're finished at this step. If you want Tampa style, open the cooked sandwich, top with lettuce and drizzle plenty of the garlic sauce over. Yum.