Veggie Lasagna with Meat
And -- The flour and durum wheat and semolina producers aren't going to like me for this one. The Gluten or Wheat intolerance folks will like this.
I substitute very thin sliced Potatoes, Zucchini and Egg Plant for the traditional noodles. Layer a mixed combination of them in each layer. And, I prefer a meat sauce.
It's a Keeper.
- 2 large
- potatoes choice skin on/off sliced very thin
- 2 small
- zucchini sliced thin skin on/off
- 1 medium
- egg plant sliced very thin skin on/off
- 8 oz
- ricotta cheese
- 16 oz
- cottage cheese
- 1 jar(s)
- spaghetti sauce with/without meat (see note)
- 1 Tbsp
- italian seasoning dry
- 3 Tbsp
- extra virgin olive oil
- 3 oz
- parmesan cheese
- 3 to 4 oz
- mozarella, provolone or fontina cheese or combo
- salt and pepper
- pats of butter 2 teaspoons to top
How to Make Veggie Lasagna with Meat
- 1I use an 8" by 12" glass pyrex baking dish for this. Add a light coat of Olive Oil and rub and line dish.
- 2Wash and slice thin the Potatoes, Zucchini and Egg Plant. Mix the Ricotta and Cottage Cheese well.
- 3Start with thin layer of veggie combination, sprinkle on a very little Italian Seasoning. Then add thin layer of cheese mixture. Then thin layer a Spaghetti Sauce. Continue with additional layers of Veggies, Cheese and Sauce. Add a little Salt and Pepper if you must.
- 4Every second or third layer add a few thin slices of Mozzarella, Provolone or Fontina Cheese.
- 5Finish with a layer of sauce, and a few strips of the thin sliced cheese. Add two pats of Butter (2 Teaspoons) and drizzle with a little Extra Virgin Olive Oil.
- 6Cover dish with foil. Bake at 350 degrees for 1 hour 30 minutes. Remove foil and add a couple additional slices of cheese last 10 or 15 minutes.
- 7Serve with Salad (Italian Dressing or Vinegar and Oil), warm sliced Italian Bread with a EVOO and Parmesan topping, And a fine glass of Chianti Wine. Ciao
- 8NOTE: I like a meat sauce, if you choose meatless sauce you have a true Veggie Lasagna. You might try my "Spaghetti Sauce -- Italiano" with meat, (which see.)