Veggie Lasagna with Meat
And -- The flour and durum wheat and semolina producers aren't going to like me for this one. The Gluten or Wheat intolerance folks will like this.
I substitute very thin sliced Potatoes, Zucchini and Egg Plant for the traditional noodles. Layer a mixed combination of them in each layer. And, I prefer a meat sauce.
It's a Keeper.
2 largepotatoes choice skin on/off sliced very thin
2 smallzucchini sliced thin skin on/off
1 mediumegg plant sliced very thin skin on/off
8 ozricotta cheese
16 ozcottage cheese
1 jar(s)spaghetti sauce with/without meat (see note)
1 Tbspitalian seasoning dry
3 Tbspextra virgin olive oil
3 ozparmesan cheese
3 to 4 ozmozarella, provolone or fontina cheese or combo
dash(es)salt and pepper
2pats of butter 2 teaspoons to top
How to Make Veggie Lasagna with Meat
- I use an 8" by 12" glass pyrex baking dish for this. Add a light coat of Olive Oil and rub and line dish.
- Wash and slice thin the Potatoes, Zucchini and Egg Plant. Mix the Ricotta and Cottage Cheese well.
- Start with thin layer of veggie combination, sprinkle on a very little Italian Seasoning. Then add thin layer of cheese mixture. Then thin layer a Spaghetti Sauce. Continue with additional layers of Veggies, Cheese and Sauce. Add a little Salt and Pepper if you must.
- Every second or third layer add a few thin slices of Mozzarella, Provolone or Fontina Cheese.
- Finish with a layer of sauce, and a few strips of the thin sliced cheese. Add two pats of Butter (2 Teaspoons) and drizzle with a little Extra Virgin Olive Oil.
- Cover dish with foil. Bake at 350 degrees for 1 hour 30 minutes. Remove foil and add a couple additional slices of cheese last 10 or 15 minutes.
- Serve with Salad (Italian Dressing or Vinegar and Oil), warm sliced Italian Bread with a EVOO and Parmesan topping, And a fine glass of Chianti Wine. Ciao
- NOTE: I like a meat sauce, if you choose meatless sauce you have a true Veggie Lasagna. You might try my "Spaghetti Sauce -- Italiano" with meat, (which see.)