Gegratineerde Witloof (Belgian Endive Gratin)
☆☆☆☆☆ 0 votes0
8endives, roots trimmed, but intact
8 slicelean, deli-style ham
2 cmilk, hot, but not boiling
·black pepper, to taste
2 cgruyere cheese, grated
How to Make Gegratineerde Witloof (Belgian Endive Gratin)
- Butter 9 x 13 in. baking dish; preheat oven to 375ºF (190ºC).
- steam or simmer endives in pot until soft but not mushy, about 10-15 minutes. Drain with leaves pointed down, squeezing lightly with dry kitchen towel to get rid of as much water as possible.
- In large skillet over medium-high heat, melt 2 T. butter. Add endives and cook, turning occasionally, until lightly brown on all sides. Remove from heat and roll one slice of ham around each endive. Put into prepared baking dish.
- In a small saucepan, melt 2 T butter. Which in the flour and stir for 1 minute - do not let it brown. Slowly whisk in milk until smooth. Reduce heat, and simmer until thickened, about 8 minutes. Add half of the cheese and still until melted. Season with pepper and nutmeg.
- Pour sauce over endives. Sprinkle the rest of the cheese over the top. Bake until cheese is melted and bubbly, about 30 minutes. Broil for about 2 minutes until cheese is lightly browned. Goes well with mashed potatoes.