Chicken Paillard & Mushrooms EnCroute
4boneless skinless chicken breasts
2sheets puff pastry
3 cblack trumpet mushrooms, cleaned, dried and halved
1 tspall purpose flour
1 1/2 tspsalt, divided
2 Tbspwhole milk
How to Make Chicken Paillard & Mushrooms EnCroute
- Heat oven to 350 and prepare baking sheet with parchment.
- Heat a skillet to medium and melt 1 tablespoon butter, add 2 teaspoons flour and heat until bubbly. Add 2 tablespoons milk, cook and stir until the consistency of buttermilk. Add a little more milk if needed. Add the mushrooms, 1/2 teaspoon salt and cook for just a minute, tossing them in the pan tom combine with the liquid, set aside.
- Between sheets of plastic wrap flatten chicken breasts with a mallet to about 3/4 inch thickness and salt with remaining teaspoon of salt.
- Lay out the sheets of puff pastry on a lightly floured board, roll both to almost half of their original thickness. Divide each into 2, leaving you with 4 pastry.
- In a small bowl thoroughly combine the egg and tablespoon of water for egg wash.
- On the 4 sections of pastry place 1/4 of the mushroom mixture in the center of each. Lay a chicken breast on top of that and bring the edges around to meet on the top and squeeze tightly sealing with water to help with the seal. Place seam side down on the prepared baking sheet, brush the top of each one with the egg wash. Bake for 35-40 minutes or until golden brown.
- The recipe for the mustard sauce that I use as an accompaniment to this is 2 tablespoons butter, 3 teaspoons all-purpose flour, 1/2 teaspoon salt, 2/3 cup milk and 5 teaspoons whole grain Dijon mustard.
In a heavy saucepan over medium heat melt 2 tablespoons butter, add 3 teaspoons flour, 1/2 teaspoon salt stirring constantly until mixture is smooth and bubbly. Stir in 1/2 cup milk and bring to a boil for 2-3 minutes. Add more milk to your desired texture. Stir in mustard and heat through.