Holiday Slow Cooker EZ Dinner
3 to 4 lbpork loin roast
1medium size chopped onion
1/2 tspdried mustard powder
1/2 tspgarlic salt
1 can(s)healthy selection cream of mushroom soup
1/2 cbalsamic vinegar
1/4 cwater with a splash of soy sauce
1/4 tspdried rosemary herb or 2 sprigs fresh
3carrots, peeled and cut in 1" chunks
3parsnips, peeled and cut in 1" chunks
6small red potatoes, cut in half (optional)
·freshly cracked pepper (to taste)
How to Make Holiday Slow Cooker EZ Dinner
- Saute chopped onion in a large oiled skillet over medium high heat.
Sprinkle dry powdered mustard over top and let sit for about 30 seconds to one minute to allow spice to bloom (you'll smell the aroma) then stir fry.
- Add pork roast and brown on all sides in same pan along with onions. (cut roast into chunks or bite size pieces if desired before you stir fry)
Sprinkle the garlic salt on top of the meat while stir frying to brown on all sides.
These first two steps should only take about 3 to 5 minutes altogether.
- Add all these ingredients into the slow cooker. Pour the healthy choice cream of mushroom soup over the roast. To get all the goodies out of the soup can rinse it out with 1/2 cup balsamic vinegar and 1/4 cup water and pour over roast. Strip two sprigs of rosemary onto roast or use 1/4 tsp dried rosemary. Mix together and let cook on high for 3 hours before adding vegetables.
- Meanwhile, wash, peel and cut up carrots and parsnips into 1" chunks and put into slow cooker with 1 hour left to finish 4 hours of cooking on high. (Also add the optional potatoes at this time with the cracked pepper if desired).
- This cooks up to have a nice tangy gravy sauce for over the roast, vegetables and optional potatoes. I served this as an easy Holiday dinner at grandma's with a green salad, a green bean casserole and Strawberry Rhubarb pie.
- I've been cooking and teaching children to cook from scratch for decades - so I cook to taste. Most measurements can be an approximation, and I may have added a little bit more or less of the spices and liquids. I hope you will enjoy the dish as much as my family did.