SMELT FRY !
This is an old family recipe from the Sullivan side of the family that has been passed down over the generations.
This brings back memories!
*** You can clean the smelt and freeze them for future use, then just thaw them the night before you want to use them up.
This is not my photo, but one I got from the internet.
2 lbfresh smelt (clean, remove bladders, wash)
COATING # 1
2 largeeggs (beaten)
COATING # 2
1/4 tspcayenne pepper
1 tspground black pepper
3 cfine bread crumbs
OIL FOR FRYING
4inches of oil
How to Make SMELT FRY !
- Clean the fish, remove bladders and wash.
- Heat oil to 375 degrees.
- Beat the eggs and set aside until needed.
- Prepare the bread crumb mixture
- Fry until golden brown (just a couple of minutes). Remove from oil to paper towel lined platter.
- *** Serve with potato salad, cole slaw, baked beans, french fries or baked potato. Garnish with lemon wedges and parsley.