SMELT FRY !
This is an old family recipe from the Sullivan side of the family that has been passed down over the generations.
This brings back memories!
*** You can clean the smelt and freeze them for future use, then just thaw them the night before you want to use them up.
This is not my photo, but one I got from the internet.
- 2 lb
- fresh smelt (clean, remove bladders, wash)
- 1 tsp
- 2 large
- eggs (beaten)
- 1/4 tsp
- cayenne pepper
- 1 tsp
- ground black pepper
- 3 c
- fine bread crumbs
- inches of oil
COATING # 1
COATING # 2
OIL FOR FRYING
How to Make SMELT FRY !
- 1Clean the fish, remove bladders and wash.
- 2Heat oil to 375 degrees.
- 3Beat the eggs and set aside until needed.
- 4Prepare the bread crumb mixture
- 5Fry until golden brown (just a couple of minutes). Remove from oil to paper towel lined platter.
- 6*** Serve with potato salad, cole slaw, baked beans, french fries or baked potato. Garnish with lemon wedges and parsley.