This is an excellent dish to make ahead of time for cooking later that evening or within a day or two (just be sure to add the crackers right before you cook it instead of ahead of time otherwise they get a bit soggy.)
- boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- 32 oz
- chicken broth or italian salad dressing
- 1 can(s)
- cream of mushroom soup (10.5oz)
- 12 oz
- sour cream or french onion dip
- 1 stick
- butter, melted
- 2 tubes
- ritz crackers
- poppy seeds (to taste)
How to Make Pauline's Chicken
- 1Cook chicken in broth (or in the dressing if you choose) in a slow cooker until it's cooked through. I usually wait until it's starting to fall apart - makes for easier shredding.
- 2When the chicken is done cooking, cut and shred chicken - you need enough to fill the bottom of a casserole dish about 1/3 of the way full.
- 3Preheat oven to 250 degrees.
- 4Mix mushroom soup and sour cream (or the dip) together and layer this mixture on top of the shredded chicken.
- 5Crush the crackers in a 1 gallon zip lock bag and pour in the melted butter. Seal the bag and shake well to mix. Layer the crackers on top of the soup mixture. Sprinkle with poppy seeds (as much or as little as you like).
- 6Heat through in a 250 oven for 25-30 minutes. (If casserole has been refrigerated before heating, you may want to heat it at 350 for 25-30 minutes)