The photo is my own. This is Chef Imi's signature dish for the Orchids Restaurant here in St. George. They charge $28 a plate for this recipe! Definitely a keeper!
- 8 ounce boneless, skinless chicken breasts, cut in half, uniform pieces about 1 inch thick.
- cup all purpose flour seasoned with salt and pepper
- cup vegetable oil
- ounces butter
- ounces crimini sliced mushrooms
- pound carmelized onion slices, cooked in olive oil
- cup green onions chopped
- cup white wine
- cup chicken stock or broth
- ounces red bell peppers roasted, quartered
- fresh basil leaves
- slices of swiss cheese
How to Make CHICKEN PORTIFINO
- 1Cook's Tip: Start carmelizing your onions first while you are preparing the chicken. This can be done ahead. The instructions for doing that are below. Make sure they don't burn; keep your heat low.
- 2HOW TO CARMELIZE THE ONIONS
Caramelize onions by slowly cooking them in a little olive oil until they are richly browned. Onions are naturally sweet; and as caramel comes from the simple cooking of sugar, when you slowly cook onions over an extended period of time, the natural sugars in the onions caramelize, making the result intensely and wonderfully flavorful. Do not skip this step.
- 3PREPARE CHICKEN BREASTS
Use boneless, skinless chicken breasts, uniform in size, about 1 inch thick. I cut each breast at an angle and butterfly it. Dredge the prepared pieces in the seasoned flour in a plastic bag and fry in the vegetable oil over medium heat until a nice golden brown on all sides. Don't over fry. Remove the fried chicken to a shallow baking pan, arrange the pieces close together, and discard the grease.
- 4PREPARE THE SAUCE
Add the butter to the pan. When it is melted, add the mushrooms, carmelized onions and the green onions. Cook until tender, about 3 minutes or so. Add the wine, stir, then add the chicken broth, bring to a boil and simmer about 5 minutes until mixture is thickened slightly and has a soft sheen to it.
- 5BAKING THE CHICKEN
Pre-heat the oven to 450 degrees. Pour the sauce evenly over the chicken. Top with the roasted pepper, the basil leaves, and the swiss cheese slices. Bake just until cheese is melted, about 8 minutes. (I made sure my chicken was done when I fried it and then it could be finished up quickly.) Enjoy!