Lone Star Chicken-Fried Steak
Vicki Butts (lazyme)
From Best of the Best From Texas.
- 1 1/2 lb
- round steak, tenderized (i like to use cube steaks)
- 1 c
- 1 tsp
- pepper, to taste
- eggs, slightly beaten
- 1/2 c
- oil, for frying
- 6 Tbsp
- bacon grease or pan drippings
- 6 Tbsp
- 3 c
- hot milk
- salt and pepper, to taste
How to Make Lone Star Chicken-Fried Steak
- 1Trim steak and cut into 5 pieces.
- 2Combine flour, salt and pepper.
- 3Dredge all steak pieces in flour mixture until lightly coated.
- 4Combine eggs and milk.
- 5Dip steak into egg mixture and dredge again in flour.
- 6Heat 1/2 inch of oil in a heavy skillet.
- 7Place steaks in skillet and fry until golden brown on both sides.
- 8To make gravy, remove steaks to warm oven, retaining 6 tablespoons of drippings (or use bacon drippings).
- 9Add flour.
- 10Cook and stir until flour begins to brown.
- 11Add hot milk and stir until thickened.
- 12Season with salt and pepper to taste and pour over warm steaks.