★★★★★ 1 vote5
- 4 tbsp. butter or beef drippings
- 4 tbsp. flour
- 1/4 to 1/3 cup red pepepr paste, recipe follows
- 1 can tomato sauce or puree, 8 oz
- 3 cups beefbroth
- 2 to 4 tbsp. whiskey
- 4 thick slices sourdough or country bread
- 8 to 12 slices warm roast beef
How to Make Whisky Beef Sandwiches
- 1Heat butter in heavy skillet; Add flour, stirring til mixture is smooth and creamy. Turn heat to medium low and cook til flour begins to brown, about 3 minutes
- 2Continue to cook, stirring often, til flour is well browned, about 10 to 15 minutes. Add red pepper paste, tomato sauce, and beef broth. Bring to a full boil, reduce heat and boil slowly til reduced by half, about 25 minutes. Stir in whiskey and salt to taste
- 3Keep warm. Put 1 slice of brad on serving plate. Top with sliced beef and gravy. Makes 4 servings.
- 4Red Pepper Paste:
8 red finger chili peppers
1 red bell pepper
2 cloves garlic, crushed
1 tsp. cumin seed
1 tsp. dried oregano
1 tsp. paprika
1 tsp. salt
2 Tbsp. white vinegar
2 Tbsp. olive oil
1 to 1 1/2 cups cubed sourdough or firm Italian bread, crust removed
Pour boiling water over chili pepper; let resh chili peppers stand 1 minutes. Drain.
Cool under running cold water. Remove stems, seeds and membrane; chop.
Chop bell pepper. Grind or puree chili peppers and bell pepper with garlic, cumin seed, oregano, paprika and salt. When pulverized, add vinegar and oil. Add brad, a few pieces at a time, and mix til bread softens and blend in. Store in refrigerator for up to a week or freeze for later use. Makes about 1 1/2 cups.
Note: If using dried chili peppers, let stand in boiling water for 20 minutes before draining. Vary your heat: Hottest: Use 6 to 8 habaneros and a yellow pepper.
Red Hot: Use 6 to 8 jalapenos and a green bell pepper or use 8 dried chipotles and a green bell pepper
Mild: Use 8 poblanos an a green bell pepper or use 8 dried anchos and a green bell pepper.