Making a sandwich the next day out of the leftover steaks and sauce is SUPER yummy too!
The picture to the left is of the Spanish Steak before it simmers for an hour. It comes out a little dark and thicker in the end.
8pieces of round steak (you can use cubed for faster cooking time)
2 Tbspolive oil
1 smalljalapeno (diced w/ no seeds. optional)
1 smallonion (chopped)
1 smallgreen bell pepper (chopped)
1 smalltomato (chopped)
8 oztomato sauce
·water to cover
1 Tbspworcestershire sauce
1 Tbspminced garlic
1/2 tspcayenne pepper (to taste if you do not like heat)
·salt and pepper to taste
How to Make Spanish Steak
- Salt and pepper raw steaks and dredge them through the flour.
- Pour 2 Tbsp of oil into iron skillet and turn heat to medium. Let skillet heat thoroughly.
- Sear the pieces of round steak and turn the fire on low.
- Add chopped onion, bell pepper, jalapeno, tomato and can of Rotel.
- Add can of tomato sauce and use the can to add water to just cover the top of the steaks.
- Add salt, pepper, minced garlic, Worcestershire sauce and cayenne pepper (opt.).
- Stir, cover and let simmer on low heat for at least one hour. Check and stir occasionally to prevent sticking or burning.
- Liquid should thicken as it cooks.