Boiled Dinner (Corned Beef & Cabbage)
We have enjoyed this for generations! My grandchildren have been excitedly waiting for this day and this meal. They all enjoyed it as much as we grown ups did.
My grandson Gavin (8), asked for a bedtime treat. I asked him what he wanted, he said corned beef and cabbage!
Easy to make, you can make any amount that you desire by cutting back on the ingredients and water.
- 2 large
- corned beef briskets
- 2 c
- 5 lb
- carrots, peeled, washed (rusticly cut)
- enough water to cover the potatoes and have it about three inches higher
- celery stalk, washed (rusticly cut)
- 5 lb
- red potatoes, washed and left whole
- 5 lb
- onions, peeled (cut in halves or qurarters)
- 2 pkg
- spice (that came with the briskets)
- 1 tsp
- each: garlic powder and ground black pepper
- 2 large
- (about 10 pounds) heads cabbage cut into wedges
How to Make Boiled Dinner (Corned Beef & Cabbage)
- 1Put the meat in a large crock pot on high heat for 4 hours. Add two cups of water. Put the lid on. About 15 minutes before your time is up, check the meat, put it in a large skillet and brown it a bit. Remove the liquid from the crock pot and pour it into the large kettle.
- 2Place the meat back into the crock pot. Put the lid on it and reset the crock pot to high and 4 hours.
- 3Prepare the carrots: peel, rinse and rustic cut (all different size pieces. Place in a huge kettle (I use my canning kettle). Cover with water and then add about three inches more. Bring to a boil.
- 4Separate an entire stalk of celery, wash and trim, rustic cut (no two pieces are cut the same size). Put the celery in the kettle on top of the carrots.
- 5Prepare the potatoes by washing them. Leave the jackets on and put them in the kettle on top of the celery.
- 6Prepare the onions by peeling, and cutting in halves or quarters depending on size of onions.
- 7Add all of the spices, sprinkling them around the top of the kettle, yet in the liquid. (If at any time you feel you need a bit more water, go ahead and add it).
- 8Remove any loose or bad leaves from the two heads of cabbage. Cut the cabbage in half, cut 3-5 wedges from each half a head of cabbage. Place the pointed side of the wedges down into the top of the kettle. Keep cutting and adding more to the kettle even if you have to push them down deeper (the rounded side should be just above the water line).
- 9By now the liquid in the kettle is boiling, turn down the heat and let simmer for about an hour with the lid on.
- 10Check the briskets for tenderness. Slice them up if they are ready (they should be ready now) Turn the crock pot off, and place the meat back in it and put the lid back on (no liquid).
- 11Check the Kettle of vegetables, if they are tender... it is done!
- 12*** I also serve seeded rye bread that has been buttered and some horseradish. Enjoy!