Orchata (Rice Milk)
Try this drink as with rum extract too...
SOAK RICE OVER NIGHT
2 1/2 clong grain rice, uncooked
·hot water (enough to cover rice)
1 1/2 csugar
1/4 tspfreshly grated nutmeg
1 1/2 tspground cinnamon
How to Make Orchata (Rice Milk)
- Put rice in a large stainless steel pot and cover with hot water. Bring to a boil for 5 minutes. Remove from heat and cover pot and leave sit overnight.
- Next Day: Drain rice. Put rice and some milk and water in blender to grind the rice up. Do this in "batches" until all the rice is ground up.
- Use a few layers of cheese cloth and strain the rice mixture until all is done (DO NOT SQUEEZE!).
- Put strained rice mixture, milk and all remaining ingredients into the large pot. Use a wire whisk to blend all together well. Refrigerate.
- *** Serve cold as is, or put some in a blender with ice.
*** This is a traditional drink that takes the "heat" out of your mouth after eating spicy food. It is sold in many Mexican eateries, as they too make this drink as a traditional beverage.