Orchata (Rice Milk)
Try this drink as with rum extract too...
- 2 1/2 c
- long grain rice, uncooked
- hot water (enough to cover rice)
- drained rice
- 1 1/2 c
- 1 c
- 9 c
- 1/4 tsp
- freshly grated nutmeg
- 1 1/2 tsp
- ground cinnamon
- 1 Tbsp
SOAK RICE OVER NIGHT
How to Make Orchata (Rice Milk)
- 1Put rice in a large stainless steel pot and cover with hot water. Bring to a boil for 5 minutes. Remove from heat and cover pot and leave sit overnight.
- 2Next Day: Drain rice. Put rice and some milk and water in blender to grind the rice up. Do this in "batches" until all the rice is ground up.
- 3Use a few layers of cheese cloth and strain the rice mixture until all is done (DO NOT SQUEEZE!).
- 4Put strained rice mixture, milk and all remaining ingredients into the large pot. Use a wire whisk to blend all together well. Refrigerate.
- 5*** Serve cold as is, or put some in a blender with ice.
*** This is a traditional drink that takes the "heat" out of your mouth after eating spicy food. It is sold in many Mexican eateries, as they too make this drink as a traditional beverage.