I cannot take credit for the Crust recipe its a single crust recipe off BHG (Better Homes & Gardens cookbook) I have used this recipe sense I was a teenager and seems to be my favorite... The apple pie filling is one of my parents recipes they have always used idk were they got that recipe though.
1. Stir together flour and salt. Using a pastry blender, cut in shortening until pieces are pea-size.
2. Sprinkle 1 tablespoon of the water over part of the mixture; gently toss with a fork. Push moistened dough to the side of the bowl. Repeat moistening dough, using 1 tablespoon of the water at a time, until all the dough is moistened. Form dough into a ball.
3. On a lightly floured surface, use your hands to slightly flatten dough. Roll dough from center to edges into a circle about 12 inches in diameter.
4. To transfer pastry, wrap it around the rolling pin. Unroll pastry into a 9-inch pie plate. Ease pastry into pie plate, being careful not to stretch pastry.
5. Rim pastry to 1/2 inch beyond edge of pie plate. Fold under extra pastry. Crimp edge as desired. Do not prick pastry. Bake as directed in individual recipes. Makes 8 servings.
Food processor directions: Prepare as above, except place steel blade in food processor bowl. Add flour, shortening, and salt. Cover and process with on/off turns until most of mixture resembles cornmeal, but a few larger pieces remain. With food processor running, quickly add 3 tablespoons water through feed tube. Stop processor as soon as all water is added; scrape down sides. Process with 2 on/off turns (mixture may not all be moistened). Remove dough from bowl; shape into a ball.
2Apple pastry: Mix dry Ingredients, add apples and mix ingredients. Pour into pie crust and add sliced margerine on top. (If your wanting to freeze: You can prepare ahead and freeze filling in gallon size plastic bags. After defrosted once you are going to use it, than add margerine.)
3If your want to use a crust on top of pie you will want to do the same as the bottom crust but folding remaining dough under bottom layer around edges and crimping it at the edges to seal in filling... Cut a few slits on top if you like you can put egg whites on top of pie (I don't do that) I just sprinkle sugar on top.
4I normally bake 350-375 for about 40-50 min w/ pampered chef ring around the crust till golden brown... I don't like my pies too done :) Enjoy