Cocoa Cream Cake
★★★★★ 1 vote5
1 cunsweetened cocoa powder
2 cwater, boiling hot
2 tspbaking soda
1/2 tspbaking powder
1 cbutter, softened
1 cunsalted butter, softened
1 cpowdered sugar
1/2 cunsweetened cocoa powder
2 cheavy cream
3/4 cpowdered sugar
How to Make Cocoa Cream Cake
- Cake: In a medium bowl, sift cocoa into boiling water, mix well. Let cool completely. Can put in refrigerator to speed cooling.
- Sift together dry ingredients; set aside.
In a large bowl, with an electric mixer, beat together butter and sugar at high speed until well mixed.
Add eggs and vanilla and beat at high speed, until light and fluffy, about 5 minutes.
At lowest speed, beat in alternately starting and ending with flour mixture in fourths and cooled cocoa mixture in thirds. Scrape the sides of the bowl after each addition.
Do not over beat.
- Pour batter into 3 greased and floured 9 inch layer cake pans.
Bake at 350 degrees for 30 minutes.
Cool in pans 10 minutes.
Remove from pans and cool completely on wire racks.
- Filling: In a small bowl with an electric mixer, cream butter until smooth.
Sift in powdered sugar and cocoa; add eggs, and beat until filling is fluffy and smooth.
Refrigerate until firmer.
- Frosting: In a medium bowl, combine cream, sifted powdered sugar, and vanilla; beat with mixer on high speed until stiff and and of spreading consistency.
- Assembling cake: On a cake platter, place one layer of cake, top side up, spread with half of the filling.
Invert second cake layer on top of first cake layer, spread with remaining filling.
Place the third cake layer, top side up, over the second cake layer.
Frost the top and sides of cake with frosting.
Refrigerate at least 1 hour before serving.
Sprinkle top of cake with chocolate shavings or curls.