I was told that they are an old German recipe. All I know is they are good! If you like dates, then you need to make Trillbies.
How to Make TRILLBIES
- Preheat oven at 375 degrees.
- Cream crisco and brown sugar well. Add eggs. Beat well until light and fluffy.
- Add flour, oatmeal and baking soda. Mix until blended.
- Roll dough 1/4 inch and cut 2 1/2 to 3 inch rounds. I have an old cutter I use with a scalloped edge.
- Bake on a cookie sheet lined with parchment paper for 8-10 minutes.
- Let cool on cookie sheet 2 mintues, then remove transfer to a cooling rack to finish cooling.
- When completely cool store in an air tight container or tin.
In a sauce pan add 1 cup chopped dates, 1 cup sugar and 1 cup water. Stir over medium heat. Cook until thick. Cool.
- Store filling in a covered container until it is time to fill cookies. Cookies stored filled for a long time will become soggy.
- To assemble cookies. Spread filling on a cookie and top with another cookie. Sprinkle with powdered sugar and transfer to serving tray.