Starlight Sugar Crisps
Kathryn R. Willsey Hyde.
As a little girl, I remember my grandmother making these and watching her knead the dough. They are so delicious! My mother used to make them just at Christmas time, and whenever I think of them, I think CHRISTMAS.
They are especially fun to share during a cookie exchange.
(I will get pictures as soon as I can)
How to Make Starlight Sugar Crisps
- Mixing dough
1. Soften yeast in lukewarm water. Let stand for a short time.
2. Sift together flour and salt in large mixing bowl.
3. Cut in margarine and shortening until particles are size of small peas.
4. Blend in beaten eggs, sour cream, and vanilla
5. Add the softened yeast.
6. Mix thoroughly and cover. Chill at least 2 hours.
- Preparing dough
1. Combine 1 ½ c. sugar and 2 tsp. Vanilla in a small bowl. Mix well.
2. Roll out half of chilled dough on board that has been sprinkled with about ½ c. of the vanilla sugar.
3. Roll out to a 16 x 8 inch rectangle. Sprinkle with about 1 Tbsp. more vanilla sugar.
4. Fold one end of dough over center.
5. Fold other end over to make three layers.
6. Turn ¼ way around and repeat rolling and folding twice, sprinkle board with additional vanilla sugar as necessary.
7. Roll out to a 16 x 8 inch rectangle ¼-inch think.
8. Cut into 4 x 1 inch strips.
9. Twist each strip 2 or 3 times.
10. Place on ungreased baking sheets.
11. Repeat entire process with remaining dough.
- Baking Twists
1. Bake in moderate oven (375 F) for 15 to 20 minutes until light golden brown.
2. Remove from baking sheet at once.
Dough may be stored in refrigerator up to 4 days and baked as needed