Cazuela (Chilean Meat Casserole)
every description are found in every Spanish-speaking country.
Only in Chile has one attained the status of national dish. It is
a simple dish made with simple ingredients: a light broth with
meat (usually chicken or beef), some potatoes, and pumpkin
or winter squash, and during the summer months, corn on the
cob are the main - and often the only - ingredients. Other
vegetables such as carrots, celery, cabbage, and green beans
are often included, and noodles and rice are frequent additions.
- 4-6 c
- chicken stock
- chicken drumsticks or thighs
- butternut squash, peeled and cut into 2-inch (5 cm) pieces
- 4-6 medium
- medium potatoes, peeled
- carrots, cut into 2-inch (5 cm) pieces (optional)
- ribs celery, cut into 2-inch (5 cm) pieces (optional)
- ears corn on the cob, cut into 2-inch (5 cm) pieces (optional)
- salt and freshly ground pepper to taste
- cooked white rice for garnish (optional)
- chopped parsley or cilantro for garnish (optional)
- hot sauce for garnish
Dutch oven and bring to a boil over high heat.
and simmer covered until the chicken is cooked through and
the vegetables are tender, about 30 minutes. Serve in shallow
soup bowls garnished with rice and parsley or cilantro if desired.
Serve with hot sauce.