Hash-Brown Potato Soup
Easy and good. If you have a bag of hash browns, but no potatoes on hand -- you can still make a great soup. Got this from Relish Magazine in our local paper last weekend. Yummy!
Featured Pinch Tips Video
- 2 Tbsp
- olive oil
- 1 c
- chopped onion
- 8 c
- frozen shredded hash browns, partially thawed
- 6 c
- reduced-sodium fat-free begetable or chicken broth
- 1/2 c
- all purpose flour
- 1 can(s)
- (12 oz) evaporated skimmed milk or 1 1/2 cups whole milk
- 3/4 c
- greek nonfat plain yogurt
- 1 tsp
- 1 tsp
- ground black pepper
- chopped green onion, grated cheddar cheese, crumbled bacon as desired for toppings
1Heat olive oil in a large saucepan. Add onion and sauté until tender about 8 minutes. Add hash browns and broth. Bring to a boil, reduce heat, and cook covered 8-10 minutes.
2In small bowl, whisk together flour with 3/4 cup evaporated milk. Add to potato mixture with remaining milk. Bring to boil, reduce heat, and cook, stirring, 10 minutes or until thickened.
3Remove from heat and stir in yogurt, salt, and pepper. (Don't boil after adding yogurt.) Stir until well combined. Top with desired toppings.