Sausage, Bean & Spinach Stew
I got the new Rachael Ray magazine in the other day and was looking through it. Found this recipe and fell in love with it.
The only thing I did different was use great northern beans instead of large white beans.
I'm gonna give a plug for Rachael Ray right now. Next to JAP, I love her website RachaelRayMag.com. There you can find tons of great recipes and even some for slow-cookers.
Featured Pinch Tips Video
- 1 lb
- dried beans, such as great northern or large white beans, rinsed and picked through
- 8 c
- chicken broth
- onion, peeled and finely chopped
- carrots, peeled and finely chopped
- ribs celery, finely chopped
- 6 clove
- garlic, finely chopped
- sprigs fresh thyme
- bay leaf
- 1 lb
- sweet or spicy italian sausage, casings removed, shaped into 1/2" meatballs
- bunch spinach, trimmed
- juice of 1/2 lemon
- crusty bread, for serving
1In a large slow cooker, stir together the beans, chicken brother, onion, carrots, celery garlic, thyme, and bay leaf. Cover and cook on high heat until the beans are nearly tender, about 3.5 hours.
2Place the sausage meatballs on top of the beans, Cover; cook until the meatballs are no longer pink in the center, about 25 minutes.
3Discard the thyme sprigs and bay leaf. Stir in the spinach, then cover and let stand until the spinach wilts, 10 minutes.
4Stir in the lemon juice; season. Serve with crusty bread.