Pappa al Pomodor (Tomato and Bread Soup)
Featured Pinch Tips Video
- fine sea salt
- 4 pounds tomatoes
- 1/2 cup finely chopped fresh basil
- 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil, plus more for drizzling
- two large garlic cloves, finely chopped
- freshly ground black pepper
- 1 3/4 cup water
- 7 ounces sliced day old rustic country bread, torn into small pieces
1bring a large pot of salted water to a boil. Add tomatoes and cook for 30 seconds. Drain. Peel, quarter and see, then coarsely chop.
2In a large pan, mix basil, oil and garlic. Heat over medium heat until oil begins to bubble. Add tomatoes, 1/4 teaspoons salt and a generous pinch of pepper. Gently simmer, stirring occasionally 20 minutes. Meanwhile bring 1 3/4 cup water just to a boil, then remove from heat and cover to keep warm.
Add bread and a 1 3/4 cups hot water to tomato mixture. Stir once just to mix then cook two minutes more. Remove pot from heat. Cover soup and let stand one hour.
3To serve, stir together soup to break up bread, then gently reheat. Adjust seasoning to taste. Divide soup among bowls and drizzle with oil. Makes four servings.