So, with the season of cold and dreary days, I wanted a nice, simple soup or chowder. I put this together with a sandwich and had it for lunch. Husbandmine enjoyed it as much as I did. He asked me to keep this recipe towards the front of my "stash" pile. I always use stash to describe my fabric but it can work for my recipes as well.
If you try it and change/add to it, please share! Will try it.
- 3 slice
- bacon (any flavor you like)
- 2 large
- yellow onions, chopped
- 1 clove
- garlic minced
- 1/3 c
- all purpose flour
- 3 c
- chicken stock or canned chicken broth
- 3 medium
- all purpose potatoes, peeled and cubed about 1 lb.
- bay leaf
- 3/4 tsp
- white pepper
- 1/2 tsp
- 2 c
- 1 c
- dry white wine or white-wine vinegar
- 3 c
- shredded sharp cheddar cheese (12 ounces)
- chopped fresh chives for garnish (optional)
NOTE: At this point the soup can be cooled to room temperature and stored. REFRIGERATE in a container with a tight-fitting lid. Keeps for up to 4 days.
NOTE: If coming out of refrigerator, reheat the soup in a covered saucepan over moderate heat, heat until warmed through--about 15 minutes. Do not let boil. Proceed as in step 5.