BLT Soup (Bacon, Leek, Tomato Soup).
Serve with grilled cheese sandwiches.
If you vant to make it more filling add one tin of cooked kidney beans with the spices.
Featured Pinch Tips Video
- 1 pt
- stock strong -chicken or vegetable (from cubes is fine)
- 1 can(s)
- plum tomato's, peeled and crushed+ 1/2 the juice
- 2-3 Tbsp
- tomato puree
- 1/4 lb
- bacon, fine chopped (1/4 inch) fried to just crispy
- 1 c
- leek, finely sliced, 1/8 inch wide strips or finer
- 1-2 clove
- garlic, finely chopped or crushed.
- 1/4 c
- lemon juice fresh + zest from 1/2 lemon
- 1 Tbsp
- chipotle paste
- 1-2 Tbsp
- bacon drippings
- 1 bunch
- oregano, fresh, finely chopped (leave a few leaves for garnish)
- 1 tsp
- celery salt or similar
- 1 c
- creme fresh or sour creme
- 1 tsp
- granulated paprika
- 1/2 tsp
- black pepper
1Set stock to simmer in pot and heat a skillet to medium heat.
2Chop and slice all ingredients add bacon to skillet, fry slowly until just crisp. Remove and place aside.
3Brown leeks and garlic until golden in the drippings. Save with the bacon and keep the drippings.
4Add all main ingredients and lemon juice to stock. let simmer for 25-45 minutes. At this point yo can tell how much spices you will need and but beware of the Chipotle and Black pepper, it may get too hot so don't over do it.
5If it isn't "Bacony" enough add some of the dripping but no more than it just give a glossy sheen to the whole surface, but not too much, that will just make it greasy.
Leave to simmer 10 more minutes.
6Chop the Oregano as fine as you can be bothered to and add to pot. Turn heat off under the pot, leave for five minutes.
7Ladle into bowls, add Creme-Fresh Finish with the last whole Oregano leaves along with the lemon zest on top and serve.