Cajun Potato & Corn Soup
*This version has andouille, ham, shrimp and kale added with the potato and corn.
Substitute ground beef, chicken, and/or fresh cod fish loins & scallops. I like to substitute red hot links for the andouille sometimes as well.
Featured Pinch Tips Video
- slices thick cut bacon, diced
- yellow or white onion, chopped
- 4 clove
- garlic, minced
- 4 c
- (6 oz) can tomato paste
- 1 Tbsp
- 1 Tbsp
- granulated sugar
- 1 tsp
- fresh ground black pepper
- 1/4 tsp
- ground cayenne pepper
- medium green bell pepper, chopped
- medium red bell pepper, chopped
- 2 c
- fresh corn kernels -or- 1 (12 oz) bag frozen sweet corn
- 3 c
- potatoes, peeled, medium diced & parboiled
- 7 oz
- grilled andouille sausage or hot links of choice, diced (about 2 links)
- 2 c
- diced/chopped cooked ham
- 2 bunch
- fresh kale, roughly chopped
- 1/2 lb
- shrimp, peeled, deveined, grilled (cut in 1/2)
- 2 grilled & diced chicken breasts (sub for the ham), cod fish, scallops (sub for the shrimp), sliced hot links (sub for the andouille)
1In a large skillet, over medium-low heat, render the bacon. Drain the bacon, leaving 1 T. of fat in the skillet. Add the onion and garlic and saute for 3 to 5 minutes.
2In a large Dutch oven or saucepan, combine the water, tomato paste, salt, sugar, black pepper, cayenne pepper, both bell peppers, onion, garlic, bacon and corn*; bring to a boil over medium-high heat. Reduce the heat to medium-low and allow to simmer for 40 minutes.
* If using frozen corn, do not add it at this time. Add it with the potatoes.