Redneck Mac 'n Cheese Casserole
Now, before y'all start complaining about not liking pimentos, the taste is very mild and really spruces up the recipe to make it the biggest hit at any table.
This is an easy go-to pot luck, family/friend gathering, funeral, holiday dish that I have made since the early 1960s.
I have, yet, to meet one single person in all these years that likes casseroles to dislike this dish.
Featured Pinch Tips Video
This recipe intrigued me ... would I like the pimentos and onion? I loved it! This is not your typical mac and cheese. It's rich and creamy from the cream of mushroom/mayo mixture. Pimentos and onions add tons of flavor. Make sure to add the Ritz crackers with the cheese - it's a delicious topping. If you want something different and to wow people at a potluck try this. It will not disappoint.
- 8 oz
- uncooked elbow macaroni
- 1 can(s)
- cream of mushroom soup
- 1/2 c
- 1 c
- mayonnaise (not Miracle Whip)
- 3 Tbsp
- butter, melted
- 1 Lg. jar(s)
- (or 2 small jars) pimento, diced (do not drain); to those of you that say, "I don't like pimento," the taste is mild and fantastic in this dish. Frankly, I don't care for pimento either, but in this dish it just works!
- 3 Tbsp
- onions, chopped small (I have also used dried onions in a pinch)
- salt to taste and lots of black pepper
- 8-16 oz
- cheese, sharp cheddar - grated - (if i'm not using the ritz crackers on the top, i use 16 oz and save about 1/2 for the top)
- 2 c
- Ritz cracker crumbs (really good addition, but you can omit and just put grated cheese on top before cooking)