Apple-Onion Casserole with Cinnamon
I think Vanessa took us there just to get the recipe. Now I make it for her when she is on break from school.
Featured Pinch Tips Video
- 1 stick
- 2 large
- onions, sliced into 1/4 inch slices, separated into rings
- 6 large
- cooking apples, such as northern spy or golden delicous, peeled, cored and sliced 1/4 inch thick
- 2 Tbsp
- 2 tsp
- cinnamon, ground
- kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
- round buttery crackers, finely crushed
- 1 c
- apple cider or apple juice
1Preheat oven to 325-degrees.
In a large skillet, melt 2 tablespoons of butter over medium-low heat.
2Add onions and saute` until golden, about 10 minutes, stirring occasionally.
3Remove onions with a slotted spoon and set aside. In the same skillet melt 3 tablespoons of butter over medium-low heat. Add apples and cook until golden, about 12-15 minutes, stirring occasionally.
4Butter a 1 1/2 quart casserol dish and spread half of the apples over the bottom. Top with half of the onions; sprinkle with 1 tablespoon sugar, 1 teaspoon cinnamon, salt and pepper to taste, and half of the cracker crumbs. Repeat layers.
5Pour apple cider over the top and dot with the remaining 3 tablespoons of butter.
6Bake, uncovered, until casserole is bubbling up in the center, about 1 hour.