Black Calamari Rice ( Arroz con Calamares)
Featured Pinch Tips Video
- 2 can(s)
- 4 onces each can, squid chunks in their ink. brands goya, or iberia, or palacio de oriente.
- 1 lb
- cleaned squid cut in rounds, as if for frying. you can buy frozen squid cut in circles and ready for frying.
- 1/2 large
- fresh sweet green pepper, diced small
- 1 medium
- sweet vidalia onion or sweet onion diced small
- 3 clove
- fresh garlic smashed or put through a garlic press
- 1/4 c
- good white dry table rwine (not a sweet wine)
- 1/2 small
- can of tomato sauce such as hunts or delmonte
- 1/2 tsp
- dried oregano
- 1/4 tsp
- ground cumin powder
- 2 small
- sprigs parsley diced small
- 1 small
- packet goya sazon with culantro & achiote
- 1/2 tsp
- garlic powder ( not garlic salt)
- 2 1/2 c
- long grain white raw rice rinsed twice in cool water
- 1 tsp
- all natural asian fish sauce
- 1/4 c
- olive oil
- 3 c
- water or fish broth if available
- 1/4 tsp
- fresh ground black pepper
- 1 or 2 tsp
- salt or to suit your taste
1Heat olive oil in heavy pot add and saute garlic, onions, green peppers, parsley, until onions and pepper are limp. Next add white wine, and stir for one minute then add tomato sauce, and two cans of squid complete with ink sauce in the cans. Stir again gently.
2Next add all the dry seasonings oregano, cumin, packet of Sazon seasoning, garlic powder, and black pepper, Reduce flame and let simmer 2 minutes. while sauce is simmering rinse your rice in cool water twice draining all the water when done.
3Now add Asian fish sauce, to the sauce and put in the rinsed squid rings in the sauce cover sauce and cook for 2 minutes only. (Time 2 minutes only) Any longer and your squid will be tough.
4After two minutes add the rinsed raw rice, and 3 cups water or fish broth. Stir well add a teaspoon of salt or taste if salt is enough. Cover & lower flame to simmer and cook for 35/45 minutes. After done uncover fluff rice and serve with fried fish or just a nice salad. This dish is delicious some people might be put off because of the squid ink but it truly is a delicacy. Pass the chilled wine Enjoy.. Buen Provecho
5Note: When my husband catches fresh fish I take the fish bones after he has filleted the fish. Head and skelton rinse good and put into a pot with a bouqet of garni, spice in a piece of cheese cloth tied together and dropped in the pot for added flavor. Also add a carrot an onion and 5/6 cloves garlic smashed, sprigs of parley, a cup of white wine and simmer for at leat three hours. I then let cool and strain. I discard the fish bodies and bones. I freeze in pint containers and use when I am making Paella, or Mariners Soups or Seafood rice dishes like this dish. Also great for French Bouliabase. But thats another recipe. Enjoy..