TWICE BAKED POTATOES
Featured Pinch Tips Video
- 2 large
- russet baking potatoes
- 3/4 to 1 c
- sour cream (add more or less--to your taste) may use light or fat-free sour cream
- 4 to 6
- strips of meaty bacon (or deced ham), diced and fried, reserve some of the bacon grease for flavor
- 1/2 c
- diced onion--may use diced green salad onions (optional, but good!)
- 1 to 1 1/2 c
- shredded cheddar cheese (add more or less to your taste)
- 1/2 stick
- butter or margarine (soft or melted)
Bake the two potatoes whole and uncovered directly on the rack for one hour or until done. Do not coat with oil or butter. When done, let cool. Then slice in half lengthwise. Spoon out the contents into a bowl, leaving the potato skins intact. Mash the potato well. (Leave just enough of the potato in the skin to keep the skin from falling apart.) Set aside.
Note: This is a versatile recipe in that you can add other things, like whatever you like to have on a baked potato. In lieu of frying strips of bacon, you can use real pre-made bacon bits. Real bacon bits taste better. I also like to add cooked and chopped broccoli to my twice-baked potatoes before baking. Add up to 1/3 Cup (per potato half) of diced chicken, beef, ham or sausage to make more of a main dish. These ingredients will make it stack up high, but in the end, it will make an appetizing presentation and will taste delicious!