Classic Potato Gratin
Featured Pinch Tips Video
- butter, unsalted for baking dish
- 1 c
- heavy cream
- coarse salt and fresh ground pepper
- 2 lb
- yukon gold or yellow potatoes, peeled and thinly sliced into rounds
- 2 c
- coarsely grated gruyere cheese (about 6 ounces)
- pinch of nutmeg (fresh ground is best)
1Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Butter a 9-inch square baking dish, and set aside.
2Whisk together cream, 1 tsp salt, 1/4 tsp pepper, and the nutmeg in a small bowl, set aside. Toss potatoes, 1 tsp salt, and 1/4 tsp pepper in a large bowl.
3Arrange 1/3 potatoes in buttered dish, overlapping slices. Sprinkle with 1/3 of the cheese. Repeat two more times with remaining potatoes and cheese (end with a cheese layer). Pour reserved cream mixture over top layers. Gently shake dish back and forth to distribute evenly.
4Cover with foil; bake 45 minutes. Remove foil; bake until bubbling and well browned about 30 minutes more. Let cool slightly before serving.
5Recipe can be doubled. Adjust baking time to 1 hour covered with foil, and 30 minutes uncovered or until well browned and bubbly.