CSW's Chili Sauce
I love this with bacon & eggs, omelets or even ham OR hamburgers.
Have even mixed some into my hamburger when making meatloaf!
I also love the smell it tosses through-out the house when I'm simmering/preparing it for canning.
Featured Pinch Tips Video
- 7&1/2 lb
- ripe tomatoes (about 30 medium); blanched & peeled
- 2&1/2 c
- peeled onions (about 6 medium);chop or put though food chopper, & then measure
- 2&1/2 c
- red & green peppers (4 green - 2 red); chop or put though food chopper, & then measure
- 3 c
- celery; finely diced & measure; put these in a large preserving kettle (enamel preferred)
- 1&1/2 c
- white sugar; add to veggies in pot
- 2 Tbsp
- pickling salt; add to veggies in pot
- 4 c
- cider vinegar; add to veggies in pot
- 1 Tbsp
- whole cloves; measure onto a large square of cheesecloth, along with the allspice below
- 3 Tbsp
- whole allspice; measure with the cloves above & tie up cheesecloth
This mixture should get fairly thick as it cooks down.
Remove the spice bag; ladle into sterilized sealers and seal immediately.
(I have never done the boiling water bath with this recipe & have never had any problems with the sauce spoiling. My recipe was made up 48 years ago before anyone did the "bath" method....lolol)