Brazilian Coconut Fish Stew
Featured Pinch Tips Video
- 3 lb
- fillet of sole or other firm-fleshed white fish
- 2 tsp
- 1/2 tsp
- freshly ground black pepper
- 6 Tbsp
- fresh lime or lemon juice
- tomatos, coarsely chopped
- 1 medium
- white onion, coarsely chopped
- red bell pepper, coarsely chopped
- 6 sprig(s)
- cilantro coarsely chopped
- 2 Tbsp
- finely chopped fresh chile pepper (or 1/4 teaspoon chili powder)
- 4 Tbsp
- dendê (brazilian red palm oil), peanut oil, or vegetable oil
- 1 c
- coconut milk or coconut cream
1Rinse the fish fillets and drain well.
2Cut each into 3 or 4 lengthwise strips and place in a bowl.
3Combine the salt, black pepper, and 2 tablespoons lime or lemon juice.
4Rub the fillet strips with the mixture and set aside to marinate, un-refrigerated, for 20 minutes.
5In a food processor or blender, combine tomato, onion, bell pepper, cilantro, and chile pepper.
6Process for several seconds to make a coarse paste.
7In a large skillet, heat the oil over medium-high heat.
8Add half the paste mixture and all the fish strips and cook for 5 minutes.
9Using a spatula to turn over each fish piece carefully, for minimal breakage.
10Top with remaining paste mixture and the coconut milk. Continue to cook for 5 minutes.
11Serve over rice.