Sauce alla Puttanesca
This is a 'true" Italian sauce, given to be many years ago by my 'boss' John DeCarlucci - I think he got it form his grandmother. Very easy to make and you'd think that you'd simmered it all day long...
This recipe works well for Lent. Seve over pasta of your choice. Also tastes great over fish served with rice.
Otherwise, you can add ground beef to the first step (heat oil, add garlic - add ground beef & brown; drain fat from skillet); continue with next steps. Serve over pasta of your choice, with crusty, Italian bread.
- 3 Tbsp
- olive oil
- 2 clove
- garlic, minced
- 4 c
- fresh (ripe) italian plum tomatoes (preferred), chopped or 1 (28 oz) can italian plum tomatoes, coarsley chopped (reserve and use the juice)
- 1/2 c
- chopped, pitted salt-cured black olives
- 2 tsp
- small capers, rinsed
- 1 tsp
- crushed red pepper, or to taste
- 1/2 tsp
- oregano, dried
- 1 can(s)
- (2 oz) flat anchovies, drained, blotted dry, cut into small pieces
- fresh gound pepper to taste
- 2 Tbsp
- italien flat-leaf parsley, chopped