Corn Bread Salad with grilled sausage and spicy ch
This is from Let the Flames Begin. The salad has all the elements of a great salad.
Featured Pinch Tips Video
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- 1/4 cup fresh lime juice, from about 2 limes
- 1/4 cup chipotle chiles in adobo sauce, pureed
- 1 tbsp. ground cumin
- kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 2 ripe tomatoes,a bout the size of baseballs, cored and cut into large dice
- 1 ripe hass avocado,cut into medium dice
- 1/2 red onion, cut into small dice
- 1/3 cup coarsely chopped fresh cilantro or flat leaf parsley
- 1 lb. fresh sausages
- 2 cups 3/4 inch cubes corn bread, toasted til golden brown.
1Build a fire in your grill and let it die down to medium. You should be able to hold your hand about 5 inches above the grill rack for 4 to 5 seconds. To make dressing, in large bowl, whisk together olive oil, lime juice, chiles, cumin and salt and pepper to taste.Add tomatoes, avocado, onion and cilantro or parsley to the dressing and toss gently to mix. Set aside
2Put sausages on grill and cook well, 5 to 8 minutes per side. To check for doneness, cut into one and peek to be sure it’s cooked through, with no trace of pink inside. When sausages are done, slice them neatly on the diagonal so they keep their shape.
3Add toasted corn bread to salad and toss gently. Divide salad among four plates. Fan the sausage slices over the top and serve. Serves 4
Choose whatever kind of sausage you favor, even chicken sausages if you like. Avoid any super spicy sausage, though, since the dressing has enough spiciness on it’s own. to toast corn bread, spread out cubes on a baking sheet and bake at 325 to 350 for about 10 minutes turning once or twice.
If you don’t want to use your grill, you can broil or pan fry the sausages.
About this Recipe
Course/Dish: Other Salads