Mesquite Grilled Steak with Salsa Flameado
Photo: Provided by the National Onion Association
Featured Pinch Tips Video
- Oregano Rub:
- 1/4 C. Worcestershire sauce
- 1 tsp. dried oregano leaves, crushed
- 1 tsp. crushed red pepper
- Steak and Salsa:
- 2 lg. yellow onions
- 4 boneless beef chuck eye steaks, cut 3/4 to 1-inch thick
- 1 to 2 C. mesquite wood chips, soaked in water 30 minutes
- 4 lg (12 oz..) fresh mild green chiles, stemmed, halved and seeded
- 2 med (1 lb. red bell peppers, stemmed, halved and seeded
- Olive oil
1Combine rub ingredients in small bowl; set aside.
2Skin onions and trim off root end slightly; do not cut into root base.
3Turn onions upside down and quarter each onion, leaving some root base on each quarter.
4Brush onions, then steaks, with Oregano Rub. When coals have reached medium temperature, sprinkle mesquite chips over coals.
5Place steaks on grid over medium, ash-covered coals. Grill, covered, 14 to 18 minutes for medium rare to medium doneness, turning occasionally.
6Grill onions, chiles and bell peppers, lightly brushing with oil and turning occasionally, 10 to 15 minutes or until charred and tender.
7Coarsely chop grilled vegetables (about 1-inch pieces).
8Serve steaks with grilled vegetables.