Melted Appenzell, Emmentaler, Pear, and Cumin
Vicki Butts (lazyme)
From Grilled Cheese by Marlena Spieler.
Featured Pinch Tips Video
- 8 slice
- pain au levain, sourdough, or pumpernickel
- 4 oz
- emmantaler, thinly sliced
- pear, ripe but firm, unpeeled and very thinly sliced
- 4 oz
- appenzell cheese, thinly sliced
- cumin seeds, several pinches
- soft butter or olive oil for spreading on bread
1Arrange 4 slices of the bread on a work surface, then top with a layer of the Emmentaler cheese, then the pear, then some Appenzell cheese, and a sprinkling of cumin seeds.
2Top each sandwich with a second slice of bread and press together firmly to seal.
3Spread the outside of each sandwich lightly with butter.
4Heat a heavy nonstick skillet or sandwich press over medium-high heat.
5Put a weight on the sandwiches.
6Brown, turning once or twice, until the bread is crisp and golden and the cheese has melted.
7Serve right away.