Beans and Ham for the Crock Pot By Freda
These are so very Easy.
On a Budget as Many are today, Ham and Beans with Rice, or Cornbread, or a cold slaw, and you have a full course meal.
Featured Pinch Tips Video
- 1 lb
- dry pinto beans or any bean of your choice, navy or great northern, or lima beans
- 5 cups
- 1 Lge
- onion, chopped
- good sized ham hocks or 8 oz chunks of ham
- 1 tsp
- liquid smoke flavoring (optional)
- 1 tsp ea.
- salt and pepper to taste
- 3/4 c diced carrots & celery (optional)
SOAK OVER NIGHT .. . OR . . BRING TO BOIL,
PLACE IN CROCK POT;
Rinse Dry Beans, to remove any dirt. Soak over Night, then Drain.
if in a hurry, Bring to Boil boil 10 min. Turn Heat Off. Let set 20 min. then Drain.
add: water, onion, ham or Ham Hocks,Liquid Smoke, Salt and Pepper to taste.
Check every 3 hrs for any needed water, if needed add; HOT water, 1 cup at a time.
1)Bacon in place of Ham.
2)3 cloves of Minced garlic, 2 Jalapino peppers seeded and chopped, with 1 Tbs Chili powder & 1/2 tsp cumin, . . this is similar to Chili beans.
4) you can replace the Jalapeno for 2 Tbs of Chopped Bell Peppers.
5) Refried Beans, Remove the meat, Mash beans with a Potato Masher, till smooth.
Note: "you can control the Heat" as to "how hot" you want your beans with the Jalapenos by the amount of Jalapenos you add.
These are Just samples of a few things you can do with your Beans.
Serve over Rice, or with Buttered Hot Cornbred, or Cornbread Muffins drizzled with Honey, and you have a full budget meal.
Follow above recipe, add Celery, and if Too thick add more Water for the Consistency of soup, and bring to a boil, Taste Test season and enjoy.